During the 90 years of the Club's colourful existence, time and man have eroded the sandhills, but the memories and friendships are as durable as the rocky cliffs.
The name Curl Curl was probably an accidental variation of the same Aboriginal term "Curial Curial" which referred to the passage of man on the river of life.
Curl Curl appeared on the parish map as early as 1842 but it did not refer to the area north of Harbord, known as Curl Curl today.
Among the earliest settlers in the area about 1890 were the Sayce family who resided in Abbott Road opposite where the Youth Club and playing fields now are.
The beach in those early days had to be reached by a bush track and was very secluded, and regarded as reasonably safe.
In 1921 after heavy rain, the lagoon which was over 300 yards wide in places,and contained an enormous volume of water when at its peak. When the sand bank at the entrance was washed away, this huge volume of water would rush seawards. It was this pressure of water which washed the boy Pfeiffer from Harbord, out to sea.
It was then that the people of Nth Curl Curl decided that we should have a surf club and a meeting was called at Mr. Macklins place in Surf Road and a club was duly formed.
In those days the lagoon reached back to Harbord Road and when full was very deep in parts. Children used to sail canoes and boats on the lagoon, which was very clean and almost entirely sand bottomed.